Are you missing one or more teeth? If so, you probably have endured reduced self-esteem and confidence on top of difficulty eating. Having a replacement tooth could change your life – especially if you choose dental implants as a treatment option. Dental implants and the restorations they hold replace the entire structure of a tooth. These replacement teeth also replicate the look and function of biological ones.
Facts About Tooth Loss
Tooth loss is a common problem with far-reaching effects. The following facts might surprise you:
- Estimates indicate that up to 178 million people in the United States are missing a tooth.
- The most common causes of tooth loss are gum disease, bone disease, facial trauma, and advanced tooth decay.
- Once one tooth is lost, the rest are at risk. One reason for this is because teeth can migrate into empty tooth sockets.
- Dental implants have a 98% success rate.
- Tooth loss causes the jawbone to atrophy, which contributes to premature aging and additional tooth loss.
How Dental Implants Work
A dental implant is a titanium prosthetic that’s shaped like a screw. Measuring just a few millimeters in diameter, it is embedded into the jawbone through a minor surgical procedure. Over time, bone will integrate to the dental implant to lock it in place. Then, a restoration is attached to an abutment on the dental implant to complete the tooth replacement process.
Dental implants can hold crowns, bridges, and even dentures. For single tooth replacement, one dental implant will be used to hold a crown. Since crowns can be made from porcelain, patients can enjoy a replacement tooth that looks, feels and functions exactly like a biological one.
Living without a tooth is difficult. We encourage our patients struggling with tooth loss to consult with our implant dentist. At your consultation, we will perform a thorough examination and review your health history to determine the best treatment option for your unique situation.
Call DeSanti Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment.